Sunday, October 10, 2010

res ipsa liquitor


What a mission! Yesterday, I had a great time taking a stiff look in the mirror of perspective. I love the combination of loosing time in thought while exercising. Running in the mountains is a form of meditation where I can formulate design solutions, introspect, visualize flying strategy or just try to have "no mind" and allow thoughts to free flow and come and go as time does.



One of my best and oldest friends, Jim Chase, has been distance running on and off most of his life. Over the years we have worked together, climbed together, hunted Elk with long bows in the mountains of Montana together, flown together (tandem) and ended up lucky enough that our kids now play together. He is soft spoken but has the fitness and toughness to make him one of the "hardest" dudes I know. He started running 50 milers in the mountains and inspired me to give it a go. Turns out that I loved training for a long event and felt the need to satisfy a curiosity so once again, it's off for an adventure with Jimmy Chase.


Just crossed the finish line. Jimmy beat me in by about 30 mins. He's a beast

The course this year was different than the past 29 years of the Le Griz Ultrathon. Normally, it takes the Western shore which makes it mellow for a 50 because of the lack of elevation gain. Road construction on the Western shore caused this to be the first year that entrants would run the Eastern shore. That side of the lake turned out to be quite hilly with an ass kicker up into the woods at mile 40. I felt great until mile 22, felt like shit from 25-35 and then thought I was getting a second wind, finding a good rhythm. At mile 40, we turned a switchback and started up hill for what seemed like forever. I was able to recover on the way back down the pass but when I got to the finish at mile 43, I was pretty worked. We ran past the finish, down through the traditional "bushwhack" (a 100 yrd push through the woods) to a paved road. From there, we had a little more than 3 miles to climb up pavement to the Hungry Horse Dam which we ran across and back to the finish. The concrete seemed to jar every muscle and bone in my tired body but in the end, I survived, no dramas.


Got to bring home a souvenir for my kiddo

It was a great experience and although I am hobbling around the house today, am already looking forward to another adventure in the mountains. There is still a lot to learn......always


The 50 mile mountain run pedicure. Wouldn't know the light without the dark;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment