Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Flux Capacitor




Flux Capacitor units all require 21 Jigawatts. Everyone knows that. Most also know that the only way to generate 21 Jigawatts is to harness a bolt of lightning. So, I've spent the last 4 days building a trick, new lightning rod for the top of my house to effectively operate my new Flux Capacitor.



This morning, the weather was particularly bad (or good in my case) and the lightning rod did it's job. After a full charge, I was able to use the stored energy to weld a zipper and a very abrasion resistant cover film onto a textile that I'm going to try for the next prototype's outer skin.



I wanted to "mock up" something similar to what my application requires, just to test how strong the bond is and how the zipper end finishes. It was evident that problems with the terminated zipper ends at the parachute handle (for example) are quite solved with these materials and this method of attachment. The bond has tested to be extremely strong and provides an ideal, seamless connection of the textiles, making for an aerodynamic and clean finish. I'm stoked with the result. The layout is far from figured out but the process is effective and really cool;-)



Thanks to friend and pilot, Richard Siberell, for helping me get tooled up properly to building harnesses. He has spent many years doing prototype work for companies like Patagonia and is responsible for many of the clean and well built products that we all drool over in the local gear shop.

Stay tuned


No comments:

Post a Comment